Osun Governor proposes N119.5b budget for 2020

Governor of Osun State, Adegboyega Oyetola on Thursday presented the state’s 2020 appropriation bill, totalling N119, 550,401,040.00, to the State House of Assembly.


Tagged “Budget of Restoration”, the 2020 appropriation bill focuses on such critical areas as infrastructure, education, health, water and sanitation as well as agriculture.


The governor put the recurrent expenditure at N57,674,993,990.00 representing 48.24 percent of the total estimate while capital expenditure, which stood at N61,875,407,050.00 took the remaining 51.76 percent.


A breakdown of the budget shows that Infrastructure takes the largest share with a total of N9,318,841,640.00 (15.06 %), followed by Water and Sanitation with the sum of N7, 581,241,350.00 (12.25 %), N6,517,762,830.00 (10.53) goes to Education, while Agriculture has N2,363,716,760.00 (3.82%).


The Governor said even with the lean resources available to the state, the administration was irrevocably committed to raising the standard of living of the citizens by ensuring judicious implementation of the 2020 budgetary provision.


“I stand to assure the good people of Osun that this administration will continue to pursue judiciously, the formulation and implementation of policies, programmes and projects that will bring about the restoration and the sustainable growth of our dear State as will be unfolded in the proposed Year 2020 Estimates.”


Oyetola further noted that the 2020 Draft Budget was crafted based on the State of Osun Development Plan (2019-2028), Medium Term Sector Strategy (2020-2022), Thank You Tour Report and Department for International Development (UK-DFID) supported Citizens’ Need Assessment carried out in 30 Local Governments and one Area Office in the state.


Earlier in his remarks, Speaker of Osun State House of Assembly, Timothy Owoeye had expressed the readiness of the Assembly to expedite action on the consideration and passage of the appropriation bill, noting that the aim of the parliament was to help steer the state toward economic growth and stability.


Bukunmi Kolade,